8 Weeks Before Moving:
- Contact van lines or rental truck companies to get estimates.
- If you have unwanted or unneeded items, plan a garage sale and set a date.
- Arrange to transfer school records if you have children enrolled in school.
- Start a “move file” for all receipts, papers, and estimates related to your move.
6 Weeks Before Moving:
- Select a moving company or rental truck company and arrange pick-up and delivery dates.
- If you are moving to a new city, ask your attorney, doctor, and other health and service providers for referrals and necessary records.
- If you have pets, schedule a check-up and get a copy of veterinary records.
- Set schedules with real estate agents and/or landlords.
- If you have ordered new furniture or supplies/materials, check with the store on the status of your order.
4 Weeks Before Moving:
- Schedule disconnect dates with your local utility company(ies).
- Notify the appropriate utility company(ies) of connect dates for your new home.
- Cancel newspaper subscription and trash pickup effective on your move date.
- Check with your local post office for change of address information and forms.
1 Week Before Moving:
- Clean out refrigerator and defrost freezer.
- Have your car serviced if you will be moving/driving a long distance.
- Confirm connect dates for utilities in your new home.
- Be sure lawn and landscape have been maintained
- Be sure your children and pets are prepared for the move
- Transfer or close your checking account. Be sure to get all items from your safe deposit box if moving far away.
- Spend the entire day at home with the movers.
- Carry any valuables or family heirlooms with you.
- Just before the movers leave, take a final tour of your home. Make sure nothing has been left in drawers, closets or has not been damaged.
- As you leave, be sure all windows and doors are locked.
Who to Notify Checklist
VIEW and DOWNLOAD OUR MOVING CHECKLIST PDF. CLICK HERE!
Services and Utilities
Know Where Shut Offs Are Located
- Know where the main electrical panel shut is located
- Know where the main water valve shut off is located