Landscaping Tips to Help Sell Your Home
Human beings are visual creatures and the subspecies of humans known as the home buyer is no exception. How a home looks on the outside can have a profound impact on its appeal to potential buyers, and home sellers would do well to invest in a little bit of landscaping before putting their homes on the market. No matter how beautiful the interior of the home may be, a shabby exterior will turn off many buyers. Worse yet, many would be buyers will not even bother to tour a home they find visually unappealing.
With all this at stake it is more important than ever to spruce up the exterior of your home before you even think about selling it. Curb appeal is an important factor even when the real estate market is thriving, but when times are tough it can be all but impossible to sell a home that looks unappealing from the curb. A few simple landscaping improvements can greatly enhance the value of the home, making sprucing up the exterior of the home one of the best investments you can make as a home seller.
Important landscaping improvements homeowners can make include:
- Keep the lawn mowed and well trimmed. Home sellers may want to trim their lawns a bit shorter than usual for a neat and uniform appearance. Just be sure not to damage the grass by trimming it too short.
- Keep weeds at bay. Following a sensible weed control strategy can help the lawn and the exterior of the home look its best no matter what the season. . Be sure to check regularly for weeds, not only in flower gardens and edgings but in the rest of the landscape as well.
- Make sure fallen leaves are raked up and removed promptly. The autumn season brings many wonders – and many chores. Among those autumn chores is raking up those leaves, and this job is even more important when the home is for sale. Be sure to check for accumulated leaves on a regular basis and remove them as quickly as possible.
- Make sure that the areas around the driveway, flagpole, mailbox and other high profile areas are well maintained and attractive to the eye. Something as simple as placing a planter full of colorful flowers next to the mailbox can do wonders for curb appeal. The same is true for edging the driveway and flowerbeds with colorful seasonal flowers or attractive flowering shrubs.
- Consider installing accent lighting. Installing solar accent lights is a great and cost effective way to improve the nighttime look of the home. Placing a row of these solar lights along the walkway to the front door or along the driveway can greatly enhance curb appeal.
- Keep those trees, bushes and shrubs neat and well trimmed. Left to their own devices those plants can quickly become overgrown and unattractive, so take the time to trim them back and keep them looking neat and tidy. Well kept shrubbery will greatly improve curb appeal, but neglected bushes, shrubs and trees can detract from a home’s appearance.
One of the best ways to determine where to spend your money and your time is to simply drive by the home as if you were a potential home-buyer. Take a critical and objective look at the exterior of the home. Chances are you will quickly spot those parts of the landscape that can use some sprucing up. Keep on driving, head to the local home improvement store or nursery and invest a few dollars in the curb appeal of your home. You will be glad you did.
For more helpful tips click preparing your home to sell, or contact us.
Click here to view homes for sale.
We are passionate about real estate – let us put our marketing skills, local knowledge and real estate experience to work for you. We welcome the opportunity of earning your business. Are ready to begin the process of buying or selling a home.
Please do not hesitate to call or text, we would love to hear from you – (713) 628-4487
Thank you for visiting TeamSadler.com
No Hype – No Pressure – Just Honest Customer Service
Service with a Smile!